[asterisk-users] Hangup()-command does not hang up the line

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Tue May 12 16:08:53 CDT 2009

On Tue, 12 May 2009, jonas kellens wrote:

> When I call my Asterisk-server from my cell phone on one of the
> PSTN-numbers that terminate in a FXO-module on my TDM410P Digium card,
> and in the dialplan the end of a context is reached and Asterisk needs
> to execute the Hangup()-command, I notice the following :
>
> - Asterisk tells me that the conversation was hung up (the log files
> tell me the command was executed)
> - On my cell phone I hear silence, no special tone on the line that
> tells me the call was terminated by Asterisk, AND time keeps on counting
> on my cell phone as if the duration of the conversation continues.

Replace the Asterisk box with a standard analogue phone and see what
happens.

I suspect you'll see the same.

It happens in the UK too. The line will eventually clear, but it may take
some time.

I used to use it to "transfer" a call - ie. just put the phone back
on-hook, then go to another phone and lift it...

And you'll see it on old films where the bad guy phones a house and loads
up the payphone with lots of money to stop the house being able to hang up
the call and dial 999 ...

Some exchanges do seem to clear the call much quicker now, but I think
it's pot-luck, depending on the exchange and maybe hardware/software they
have...

Gordon