[asterisk-users] VoIP over satellite internet

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Mon May 11 10:14:48 CDT 2009

On Fri, May 08, 2009 at 11:56:42PM -0500, Frank Bulk wrote:
> If people don't mind taking turns talking, it will "work".  It's just going
> to be like talking on a CB.  Reminds me of talking to my grandparents in the
> Europe as a child in the early 80's.

Just recall that VoIP can generally live with high latency (in the worst
case the parties take turns). OTOH, jitter (the variance of the latency)
can be a real problem. If packets are guaranteed to be delieved with a
delay of 1000ms +- 2ms, you'd probably get a decent quality (assuming
you got rid of echo). If packets get delivered at 500ms +-250ms, the
endpoints will have a much harder time producing a good call from that.

Dropped packets are also a major pain, naturally. IIRC ilbc is
relatively resiliant to dropped packets, as in it each packet's decoding
is independent of other packets (that might get dropped).

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com