[asterisk-users] How to write custom functions in AEL2 ,

Steve Murphy murf at parsetree.com
Mon May 11 09:55:23 CDT 2009

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 1:30 AM, Olivier <oza-4h07 at myamail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using asterisk 1.6.1 and AEL2.
> I'm trying to find the best way to write my own custom functions ?
>

> At the moment, I'm using this pattern (extensions.ael) :
>
> context foo {
> 123 => {
>     &myfunc(123456);
>     NoOp(${GOSUB_RETVAL});
> };
>
> macro myfunc (arg) {
>     Return (${arg});
> }
>
> 1. First, I keep getting warnings like
> Warning: file /etc/asterisk/extensions.ael, line 446-446: application call
> to Return affects flow of control, and needs to be re-written using AEL if,
> while, goto, etc. keywords instead!
> and I would like to get rid of them.

This is easily done. Return() is calling the Return application;  'return',
however, is the keyword the AEL uses. Note the lack of a capital R at the
beginning of
the word "return". AEL is case sensitive and "Return" is not equal to
"return".

Also note that, as a previous reply mentions, that return takes no args,
that there is a patch available to upgrade to do that.
You don't need the patch to do what the patch does, tho. But, not having
refreshed my memory on the particulars, I will say
no more!

> 2. Secondly, I would like not to use GOSUB_RETVAL  and call a custom
> function just like I'm calling other functions with statements like :
> 123 => {
>      NoOp(TOLOWER(fOo BaR));
>      NoOp(myfunc(123456));
> };

Again, check your version of Asterisk against whether AEL uses Gosub() to
implement macros.
The AEL2 wiki page on voip-info.org (
http://voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+AEL2 ) can also
be quite helpful at times!