[asterisk-users] VoIP over satellite internet

Don E. Wisdom donw at engineeringinc.com
Sat May 9 00:07:14 CDT 2009

I work on the salmon river in Idaho as a computer/radio tech.
All of the satellite isp's do not have the upstream capability.
Skype barely works. (you have to try upwards of 20 times for it to work)
If I have to make phone calls when I am there I always use the SSB
Radiophone or satellite phone because it is far far far more reliable and
doesn't irritate the living hell out of the person your calling.
I have tried 2-3 different VoIP providers & all have the exact same result.
The other side only hears a few pieces of word or nothing at all and hangs
up.
I have tried this on Starband (360 & 480 modems) & wild blue
Starband also has outages during the day where you cant see their satellite.
Most of the satellite ISP's also have rolling bandwith caps.  (Starbands is
1gig down & 300megs up in a 7 day period for the plans I deal with)
Overall I think its a bad idea.  It most likely will not work.

--Don