[asterisk-users] Leg-based CDR proposal updated; Major mods

Steve Murphy murf at parsetree.com
Fri May 8 13:55:21 CDT 2009

Hello!

It's me again. I began a fairly large modification to my CDR proposal
some weeks ago, and finally yesterday and this morning got enough
accomplished to allow a commit and some peer review.

Check the docs out via " svn co
http://svn.digium.com/svn/asterisk/team/murf/RFCs "

This is a directory; in it you will find:
CDRfix2.rfc.doc
CDRfix2.rfc.docx
CDRfix2.rfc.pdf

The docx version is the one I actually edit; the doc verison
should be editable in both the windows and linux worlds.
The PDF version is for those who just want to read it.

Basically, I modified the doc to turn Leg-based CDRs into Simple
CDR's with splits (both automatic and dial-plan generated). Instead
of a single time line for complex conversation, broken into consecutive
segments, now you have N time lines (one per participating channel).
A Leg-based CDR system devolves into a Simple CDR system when
all the automatic and dial-plan splitting is turned off. This makes things
easier to implement and understand. At least, for me! (If I don't understand
it, I doubt I can make YOU understand it!)

Also, I gave uniqueID's an overhaul based on the idea of REFERENCING.
I think most users have misunderstood the uniqueID field in the current
CDR system, and don't see the possibilities that solid referencing would
open up. I introduce the idea of uniquely identifying channel 'instances',
which are what Asterisk creates when it creates a channel struct internally.
The
uniqueID field on the CHANNEL struct uniquely identifies that channel
instance
across time for a single server. (Currently).  (barring masquerades). These
are what are
REFERENCED by my destchannel, and channel fields. I provide new fields
called "channel_uniqueid" and "dstchannel_uniqueid" to reference
these fields; not just the channel name (dahdi/1-1 doesn't quite suffice
across time.) (But I left the old fields alone for those who prefer device
info).
CDR unique ID's can/will be generated for external usage,
but are not available to the dialplan or apps within Asterisk. Thus, only
external referencing is possible to individual CDR records. But this should
be good
enough, I think!

This may or may not help with issues brought forward a while back
by greyman and others, -- I'd appreciate hearing about it.

murf

--
Steve Murphy, Pres, Consultant
ParseTree Corp