[asterisk-users] Compact, fanless appliance?

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Wed May 6 04:46:51 CDT 2009

On Wed, 6 May 2009, Alan Lord (News) wrote:

> On 06/05/09 08:28, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> <snip />
>> One little tip: You need to compile Asterisk for an i586 processor as
>> the VIA processor is missing a few (mmx, etc.) instructions that a full
>> blown i686 has.
>
> Hi Gordon,
>
> I'm using a VIA C7 on a Jetway board
> (http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=11212).
>
> This is my cpuinfo. Isn't that an i686 class?

Hm. You know what - it's possible my information is a little out of date
now.. (quite possibly the wiki too!)

I use these processors too, but my test boxes (~6 years old) have the VIA
C3 chips in them:

   processor       : 0
   vendor_id       : CentaurHauls
   cpu family      : 6
   model           : 7
   model name      : VIA Samuel 2
   stepping        : 3
   cpu MHz         : 533.376
   cache size      : 64 KB
   fdiv_bug        : no
   hlt_bug         : no
   f00f_bug        : no
   coma_bug        : no
   fpu             : yes
   fpu_exception   : yes
   cpuid level     : 1
   wp              : yes
   flags           : fpu de tsc msr cx8 mtrr pge mmx 3dnow
   bogomips        : 1067.55

and I know they definately segfault if I don't compile asterisk for an
i586...

> cat /proc/cpuinfo
> processor	: 0
> vendor_id	: CentaurHauls
> cpu family	: 6
> model		: 10
> model name	: VIA Esther processor 1200MHz
> stepping	: 9
> cpu MHz		: 1099.969
> cache size	: 128 KB
> fdiv_bug	: no
> hlt_bug		: no
> f00f_bug	: no
> coma_bug	: no
> fpu		: yes
> fpu_exception	: yes
> cpuid level	: 1
> wp		: yes
> flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge cmov pat
> clflush acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 tm nx up pni est tm2 rng rng_en ace
> ace_en ace2 ace2_en phe phe_en pmm pmm_en
> bogomips	: 2199.93
> clflush size	: 64
> power management:

All my production ones have the newer processors, maybe it's time to
abandon my old test boxes... (Although one old box is actually a live
system with a customer!)

Nice to know they last though - one thing I always wory about is longevity
- You put a panasonic on a wall and it's still there and working 15 years
later... Are these going to last 5 years, 10 or more? Time will tell, I
guess!

Cheers,

Gordon