[asterisk-users] Preferred language for Asterisk AGIs development ?

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Tue May 5 14:31:45 CDT 2009

On Tue, 5 May 2009, Kashif Naeem wrote:

> We are going to start development for a product based over Asterisk.
> According to you, which is the preferred language for AGIs / IVRs
> development in Asterisk. I got opinions that Perl is going to be
> replaced by PHP for all future developments.

My personal bias is C. I know it best and it performs best. I can execute
xx to xxx AGIs written in C before you can load your interpreter (PHP or
Perl) and parse.

You should go with the language you know best. If it isn't C, learn it :)

I doubt any language is going to replace any other language "for all
future developments." Languages are like tools. If all you know is
"hammer" then every problem looks like "nail." If you learn about
"screwdriver" then you may discover a better way to open a sticking
window.

Thanks in advance,