[asterisk-users] Preferred language for Asterisk AGIs development ?

Tobias Wolf tobias.wolf at evision.de
Tue May 5 03:47:51 CDT 2009

Kenneth Shaw schrieb:
> Drop Asterisk, move to Freeswitch. Much easier to interact with external
> code bases, and it has more than one language interpreter built in
> (javascript, lua, etc.).
>
> If you're intent on staying on Asterisk, I would suggest skipping AGI,
> and write a client that monitors the state of asterisk via the manager
> interface. AGIs are messy in my opinion. There isn't really any "best"
> language for AGIs, as AGIs just communicate with Asterisk via a pipe.

This be true for AGI, but there is also FastAGI and with it the excellent
asterisk-java package:

http://asterisk-java.org/

It supports writing AGI Scripts in JAVA, which communicates over TCP with
Asterisk. AMI is supported too ...

Last but not least it has a nice Abstraction Layer, the Live API, which gives
you some good insight and control of what is going on, inside the asterisk server.

I think it is definitly worth a try ;)

Kind Regards,

Tobias Wolf