[asterisk-users] Compact, fanless appliance?

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Mon May 4 04:07:06 CDT 2009

On Mon, 4 May 2009, Vincent wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 12:51:01 +0100, Tim Panton <thp at westhawk.co.uk>
> wrote:
>> I'm running  asterisk  1.4 on an  NSLU2 , only a couple of channels
>> and minimal transcoding, but it seems fine and stable. £80 + usb storage
>
> Thanks guys for the tips on EdgePBX and the Linksys.
>
> Is the NSLU2 still sold, or has it been end-of-lifed?
>
> AFAIK, the modded router/NSA boxes to run Asterisk boild down to this:
> - Linksys NSLU2
> - Linksys WRT54
> - Planex MZK-W04NU
>
> Are there others I should know about?

Do you want to build your own?

If so, you can put togther a 1GHz fanless VIA miniITX board, case (that
will take a drive or flash IDE), memory and psu for well under £200. Same
system has one PCI slot for a card that might take analogue, ISDN2 or
ISDN30.

I've benchmarked them to 60 calls, but if you google about (hint: xorcom),
you'll find a paper where a similar mobo to what I use (only 64KB cache
IIRC, the ones I use have 128KB cache) was benchmarked to 120 calls and
over to 10 concurrent g729 transcodes...

I've built dozens of these systems in the past year or 2...

Gordon