[asterisk-users] LoadAvg , Codec and Bandwidth Utilisation

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Fri May 1 05:06:38 CDT 2009

On Fri, 1 May 2009, David @ULC wrote:

> 1) If I see the Loadavg more than 4 , whats the immediate solution to get it
> under 1 APART from restarting the server ?

How many concurrent calls are transcoding?

Load average isn't always a good measure of cpu utilisation. Traditionally
it just means the number of processes that are running (or waiting on IO)
averaged over a period of time.

> 2) I get too much of cross connections.
> Can Codec be the culprit ? I use g729. Can using GSM will solve the problem
> ? What could be the other reasons ?

Transcoding to/from complex codecs (g729, gsm) requires CPU usage. Ye
canny change the laws o physics... However you can buy hardware
accellerators.

> 3) Anyway to measure the bandwidth utilisation from the server ?

iftop

Gordon