[asterisk-users] dynamic codec preferences

Michael Graves mgraves at mstvp.com
Tue Mar 31 22:28:35 CDT 2009

On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 16:12:45 -0400, Mike wrote:

>Maybe something like that could be done by using "set groups" and counting
>the number of calls, and at a specified threshold (i.e. 6 simultaneous
>calls) you`d specify g729 for new calls.
>
>Shifting an ongoing call might be impossible though.
>
>Mike

I'd not expect to shift an ongoing call. But if you know that your IP
connection is constrained then when you have x calls in progress you
might benefit from forcing any additional new calls into G.729. At
least until your simultaneous call volume drops a bit.

I image that most people who use G.729 simply use it all the time. But
then, why take the quality hit if your call momentary volume is low?

Michael