[asterisk-users] iphone, skype and asterisk ...

Lincoln King-Cliby lincoln at controlworks.com
Mon Mar 30 08:43:03 CDT 2009

There are a couple SIP clients in the App store; the first one I tried (WeePhone) supports STUN but breaks horribly when you try to connect to an Asterisk server across a VPN connection, which is critical in our case since we aren't exposing our Asterisk deployments to the public Internet (same reason why Fring won't work for us).

On the same LAN as the Asterisk server with no intervening VPN it has a few quirks but seems to work decently enough.

It looks like the problem is that WeePhone registers with Asterisk using either the local LAN (WiFi) IP address or the public WAN IP address discovered using STUN [if enabled]; there doesn't seem to be a way to force it to use the VPN IP when registering, which, of course, makes it nearly useless for my application - but if you have an Asterisk server with the proper ports exposed to the public Internet that may not be a problem for you.

Anyone know if this is true with the other SIP clients in the App Store?

Lincoln

--
Lincoln King-Cliby, CTS
Applications Engineer