[asterisk-users] hum noise

Rob Hillis rob at hillis.dyndns.org
Mon Mar 30 07:47:05 CDT 2009

Rilawich Ango wrote:
> My configuration is simple as below.
>
> SIP phone <-> asterisk <-> CISCO <-> T1
>
> Do you mean the hum noise is created by electric-magnetic field?
> Asterisk can do nothing to eliminate it?

That would be my bet.  No, Asterisk can't do anything to remove EM
noise.  That's up to you since EM noise can just about always be
filtered out.  The most likely source is from telephone cables being run
too close to power cables, fluorescent lights and so on.  Improper
shielding of components inside your PC could also be your problem.

If your connection to the outside world is T1, it's unlikely to be an
external problem. (digital signals aren't affected in this manner by EM
interference)  It's possible the SIP phone itself is faulty - other than
that, make sure your Asterisk box and Cisco gear aren't located right
next to heavy duty power cables or transformers.