[asterisk-users] New CentOS 5 repo: dahdi, asterisk, freepbx RPMs

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sun Mar 29 05:07:53 CDT 2009

Hi,

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 11:18:12AM -0500, Jason Parker wrote:
> >      > How about merging in your changes/improvements/new packages
> >      > with ATrpms (and automatically later into rpmrepo.org

> >     Of course I'd love to contribute my changes to ATrpms.  Some
> >     of the small changes I made, such as adding OSLEC to the DAHDI
> >     RPMs, might be nice for ATrpms users.  I'll whip up some
> >     patches against the ATrpms sources.

> > Alternatively, there's also the RPMS at
> > http://packages.asterisk.org/centos/ which seem to have a nice
> > spread of options available,

> I would love it if some of this were to happen.  I am very familiar
> with Axel and ATrpms - he has proven countless times that he knows
> what he's doing when it comes to this sort of thing.  Getting
> help/advice from somebody like him would be extremely beneficial.
> As far as basing the ATrpms (or others) packages on the AsteriskNOW
> packages, if that is something that Axel (or others) wanted to do, I
> would be more than willing to help with whatever is needed.

The packages at ATrpms try to be as upstream/vanilla/generic as
possible, I wouldn't want to base them on a downstream project like
AsteriskNOW (I even try to keep any RHEL/Fedora specifics out of them,
so people can even rebuild on other rpm platforms). As you wrote in a
trimmed part of the mail, for example relying on the downstream of
AsteriskNOW resulted in forgetting setting up init files needed for
standalone operation.

But serving a downstream project is a different beast and worthwhile
doing it. Are there any bits in the ATrpms packages that need
adjustment/fixing wrt AsteriskNOW? If so is it possible to keep the
packages still generic, and FHS/LSB compliant?
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net