[asterisk-users] Asterisk multi-cpu

Robin Rodriguez rrodriguez at ifbyphone.com
Thu Mar 26 18:37:52 CDT 2009

Mike wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I know somebody is going to give me the link to the wiki hardware
> pages, but I can't find the answer there. I'd like to know if, for an
> Asterisk only system (nothing else of note running on it), I get a
> real gain from having 2 CPUs.
>

> Does the amount of traffic/SIP registrations/codec translation
> possible doubles with 2 CPUs? (each quad core E5420 to be precise)?
> Does it increase by 50%?  It is only a marginal increase, or none at all?
>

> I wish I could test it myself, but I haven't bought the hardware yet
> and this will help me decide what I am buying.
>

> Regards,
>

> Mike

In my experience I don't see any benefit from dual cpu's on asterisk
boxes unless you are doing a lot of transcoding and generally I would
suggest trying to avoid transcoding as it generally works out more cost
effective in the long run than continually adding hardware. I've found
chan_sip to be a limiter long before the hardware is stressed.

--
Robin D. Rodriguez
Systems Engineer