[asterisk-users] sip.conf outboundproxy

John Todd jtodd at digium.com
Thu Mar 26 17:52:45 CDT 2009

On Mar 26, 2009, at 6:07 AM, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

> Ricardo Carvalho wrote:
>
>> Does it only send OUTBOUND calls via the proxy and not also internal
>> extension calls via that proxy?
>
> As has already been posted in your other threads about this subject,
> Asterisk has no concept of an 'outbound' call at all. In that sense,
> the
> name of this option in sip.conf is incorrect, it should just be
> 'proxy'.
>
> If you tell Asterisk to use a SIP proxy for sending out SIP
> requests, it
> will send all requests to that proxy, regardless of whether that
> request
> might be involved in a call that you classify as 'internal'. To
> Asterisk, a SIP call is a SIP call; there is no 'internal',
> 'external',
> 'outbound', 'inbound', at least not in the sense of 'inside my PBX' or
> 'outside my PBX'.

I agree.

But... (isn't there always a caveat?)

Would it be so difficult to have perhaps two different proxies?  One
would be for any SIP messages destined for IP addresses that were not
in any of the "localnet=" lines, and one would be for any SIP messages
destined for IP addresses that were destined for IP addresses that
were NOT in the "localnet=" lines.  Of course, leaving them blank
would mean that a proxy would not be used for one group or the
other.   This would allow creation of the concept of "outside" and
"inside" at an administrative level using previously-described network
definitions in sip.conf.  Plus, it would dis-entangle a lot of the
logic that one might otherwise have to install on the proxy to reflect
certain messages back into NATted zones or otherwise complex internal
structures.

I have imagined several more complex situations where I'd want to have
multiple proxies, each with their own network ACL trigger masks, but
I'll stick with the simple case for now.  :-)

JT

---
John Todd                       email:jtodd at digium.com
Digium, Inc. | Asterisk Open Source Community Director
445 Jan Davis Drive NW -  Huntsville AL 35806  -   USA
direct: +1-256-428-6083         http://www.digium.com/