[asterisk-users] Is there a public blacklist of hackers' IP addresses?

asterisk at lists.bod.org asterisk at lists.bod.org
Thu Mar 26 13:41:10 CDT 2009

I highly recommend http://www.dshield.org. A large community submits
their logs to dshield on a regular basis (most do it hourly). dshield
then makes aggregate information available, including worst offenders,
etc. You can also query for the number of reported attacks originating
from a given IP address.

http://www.threatstop.com/ is a commercial service that aggregates
threat info from dshield and other services to produce a list of IP
subnets to block. I used them during their beta period, but when they
launched, the pricing was a bit high for a 'home' user.

Also useful: the geoip netfilter module in xtables-addons
(http://xtables-addons.sourceforge.net/) for linux distributions. This
allows you to write firewall rules that depend on the country of the
originating IP address. Great way to cut out a lot of SSH attempts from
countries you don't reside in (like a lot of cruft I get from China,
Russia and the Netherlands).

fail2ban is a good tool for monitoring logged security violations and
banning IPs based on repeat offenders. If I remember correctly it's a
little more broad in the logs it reacts to than sshdfilter is (mentioned
in another post). Either one is much better than nothing :)  Using geoip
in your netfilter rules will drastically reduce the number of attacks,
so they make a good combo.

A more advanced technique is to set up a 'firewall' virtual machine on
your machine that handles your public IP address(es). Use a stripped
down 'firewall' distribution with only the binaries it needs to be a
firewall (no dev tools, perl, python, etc.). Run a few proxies for the
few services that mush be exposed (e.g. SMTP), and filter those heavily
too (e.g. by using geoip mentioned above). Even if that virtual machine
is compromised, there's no interesting info available and little to
damage (plus it's easy to restore from a backup image kept on the host).
I've just started setting up something like this using KVM (kernel
virtual machine), running an instance of OpenWRT.

Paul