[asterisk-users] More on SIP for Skype

Michael Robertson michael at michaelrobertson.com
Wed Mar 25 12:22:31 CDT 2009

Daniel wrote:
For us, opensky can be OK for individual users, not for allowing
Asterisk users to call Skype users. Why? Simply that when you buy the 20
USD connection to Skype and don't want your calls to be cutted after 5
mn, you have to use the Gizmo Skype aliases system which is in your
account. Not really helpful if you want to connect transparently your
users to Skype! They better had to say "Ok, this is your prefix (eg
1333xxxxxxxx) to call Skype users through your account, this would allow
us -as Asterisk admin- to format calls from *our* users in the right way.

OpenSky is very flexible. There are many dialing examples at:
http://www.gizmo5.com/opensky You can dial several different ways so it is
practical for an individual user or an entire network. In fact, we have a
large mobile company using it right now with more than 20,000 users. To dial
an Skype user you can:

- Dial a fully qualified address like this: skypeusername at opensky.gizmo5.com
- Dial a numeric alias like this: 1333xxx-xxxx which can be setup at
my.gizmo5.com
- Create your own dialing logic on your network which translates a skype
name to a fully qualified address. So some system administrators have setup
9xxx range to do quick dial of Skype addresses. By this I mean that dialing
9001 is mapped to a particular Skype address.

There is sample Asterisk setup files available at:
http://www.gizmo5.com/opensky

Email on/off list if you have more questions.
--
-- MR

Michael Robertson

www.MP3tunes.com - Your Music Everywhere