[asterisk-users] ITSP's no longer supporting IAX?

Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak mjc at avtechpulse.com
Wed Mar 25 08:14:34 CDT 2009

OCG Technical Support wrote:
> After a variety of connectivity problems, my itsp (Unlimitel.ca) blamed
> the problem on the IAX protocol.  They told me that as of Asterisk 1.4
> the IAX protocol went downhill and many carriers (like VoicePulse) are
> discontinuing support for IAX.
>
> Is this correct?  We are all heading for SIP?

I use IAX with unlimitel.ca on Asterisk 1.6, and I haven't had any
issues at all.

The choice of router/NAT is critical though. Unlimitel recommended the
SnapGear 560 to me, and it eliminated all the issues I was having with
IAX going through my Sonicwall devices.

Just another datapoint for you...

- Mike