[asterisk-users] conference and wifi phones

Steve Gladden asterisk at michiganbroadband.com
Tue Mar 24 13:41:15 CDT 2009

I REALLY like the Snom M3 DECT SIP base.
You can have up to 3 simultaneous calls through the base
and you can have up to 8 phones registered with it.
It's all web managed as well as http/s provisionable and has
this nice phone to line matrix where you can set which phones
ring on inbound calls and what outgoing 'account' a handset will use.
So per handset you can pick the outbound identity/account and you
can also take inbound calls from 1-8 SIP accounts!
And you can call (intercom) phone to phone,
and transfer etc.

And it works with just about ANY DECT(GAP) phone.
We use some Phillips handsets with it that cost $20 each and have
excellent talk time and very long range albeit a bit cheap feeling
and sounding as compared to a $400 Polycom KIRK handset
Which we are also using with this SNOM DECT gateway :-)

Snom's M3 DECT handset is very light and inexpensive feeling like a home
grade WiFi Phone.. which I DONT like but it performs very well for the
price has a color (passive matrix) screen and is rather full featured.

I seriously don't get why they won't build a wifi/dect phone of the same
rugged construction quality as even the most basic of cell phones.
Hopefully that will change some day :-)
Even very inexpensive cell phones are of MUCH more rugged design.

I just don't like these cheap feeling light soft plastic phones that I
sometimes improperly refer to as 'cheap skype toys'.
I was a PAP2 + cordless phone user until I got that SNOM M3 system.

I also use a snom DECT repeater outdoors on an outdoor antenna so I get
about 1/2 mile range on the DECT Phones and it works inside most of the
neighbor's houses up to about 1/4 mile away from home.

I still use a PAP2 to run a (FREE) payphone that sits on the back patio
for people to play with when they come over for parties.
And I use them anywher a POTS style interface is desired.
:-)

> On Mon, 23 Mar 2009, Michael Graves wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 20:01:51 -0400, Dean Collins wrote:
>>
>>> Siemens make a range of DECT handsets under the Gigaset model range.
>>>
>>> Yes they shit all over every wifi handset I have ever used.
>>>
>>> Dect is way better.
>>>

>> Amen to that! Unles you have some compelling reason for VoWifi it's not
>> worthy of consideration. Especially for SOHO or small biz use. Too
>> costly to do well.
>
> Roaming through hotspots is a point taken - you cannot exactly take your
> base to Starbucks.  But I have yet to run across a phone that does this
> well.
>

>> DECT, in contrast, is solid and not overly expensive. SIP/DECT systems
>> like the snom m3 and Siemens S675/S685 give you all the benefits of a
>> SIP phone with the reliability and mobility of DECT. I much prefer this
>> to an ATA and analog DECT phone.
>>

> Not that I am arguing - simply curious - what do you see as the advantages
> of a SIP phone over ATA/analog DECT?
>
> Cheers,

> --
> believed to be clean.