[asterisk-users] Is there a public blacklist of hackers' IP addresses?

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Tue Mar 24 08:07:40 CDT 2009

On Tue, 24 Mar 2009, Zeeshan Zakaria wrote:

> I am not really sure, but apparently they guessed a SIP username/password.
> But what I don't understand is they even though I deleted that extension all
> together, still 'sip show peers' showed that extension. Then I figured out
> an easy to guess manager user and password, which I also deleted. I think it
> all started from the manager user/password and they created an extension on
> the server which 'sip show peers' would show as offline but would be making
> calls successfully.
>
> The IPs I had to block so far are:
>
> 213.136.96.104

Africa

> 88.151.100.167

Hungary

> 85.17.141.101

Holland

> 212.34.138.12

Spain.

You can use the 'whois' command to find this out, and use iptables to
block them - unless you think your customers are actually in those
countries.

But get your passwords fixed and firewall the manager interface - I don't
think anyone ought to be accessing it from random remote hosts at all.

The easiest way it to start by blocking everything from everywhere, then
open up what you need. So leave the manger port blocked, but open SIP and
RTP ports. (and IAX if you use it). Open SSH only from your own network
and so on.

And change all your passwords. Now.

If you want a sample set of iptables, then look at:

   http://unicorn.drogon.net/firewall

This is a shell-script. Do not blindly run it without reading and
understanding it, or you might get cut-off yourself, especially if this is
a box in a rmote data centre! If you do use it, you'll need to create 2
files /etc/network/blockSites (can be empty), and /etc/network/allowSites.
Eg. my allowSites file has

81.31.100.104/29

Which is my home/office LAN.

That script, while not perfect in any sense might make a good starting
point.

If you are logging stuff too, you might want to run syslog in non fflush
mode - else a really detemrined hacker/port scanner will reduce the
server to a crawl as it logs each one to disk, line at a time.

Good luck,

Gordon