[asterisk-users] Recommended USB Headsets ?

Rob Hillis rob at hillis.dyndns.org
Tue Mar 24 03:11:18 CDT 2009

About two and a half years ago, I upgraded a small call centre from
corded handsets to X-Lite with Plantronics CS60 USB headsets.

X-Lite lasted about two or three months before we ditched it in favour
of Eyebeam.  X-Lite disables too many features to be useful.  With the
Plantronics headset, X-lite and Eyebeam are about the only ones that
support answering and terminating calls from the headset properly, so
you're pretty well locked in there.  (there are others that support the
Plantronics headset, but every one I found was commercial and usually
vendor specific)

The Plantronics headsets are still going.  Every few months, I get a
complaint about calls dropping out, and every time it's been because the
staff member in question hadn't put the headset back on the charger
properly.

Make sure that your echo cancellation is well taken care of if you're
contemplating using softphones - generally speaking there's a much
longer delay (in the order of ~150-200ms) in softphones compared to any
physical phone - IP or analogue, so any echo you have will be much more
noticeable and far more distracting.