[asterisk-users] IAX trunktimestamps and AST_CONTROL_SRCUPDATE

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Mon Mar 23 10:26:18 CDT 2009

Tilghman Lesher wrote:

> It will have no effect.  The issue has always been that if the stream source
> changed during a call, the sequence numbers could be reset, sometimes
> causing audio weirdness.  What has changed is that we're now able to tell
> the other side to expect such a reset, thus preventing audio weirdness
> (basically, audio would drop until the remote end decided that it was okay
> that it was missing a bunch of frames and could continue on).  If your calls
> are breaking, they would have broken, regardless of whether this frame was
> sent or not.

This is all true, but since IAX2 does not transport the native
timestamps of the Asterisk frames it is asked to send (it creates its
own timestamps), there is no value in sending a SRCUPDATE frame across
IAX2, because the receiver of the frame will never see any timestamp
discontinuity due to it.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
skype: kpfleming | jabber: kpfleming at digium.com