[asterisk-users] Music on Hold doesn't play back for external callers

Greg Hinson greg_hinson at msn.com
Fri Mar 20 18:07:59 CDT 2009

Hey all;

I am experiencing an issue with music on Hold. I am running asterisk version 1.4.22, and have a default script set up in two places for MoH playback. For internal devices to my network that are SIP peering with asterisk, they simply dial 123 and hear the MoH music immediately. I'm using the default setup, where it just plays the wave files in the /var/lib/asterisk/moh directory. I also have in my General settings in sip.conf to use the default musicclass.

On-net context script for MoH in extensions.conf:

exten => 123,1,Answer()
exten => 123,2,MusicOnHold(default)

Calls from the PSTN are matching this Moh setup in extensions.conf:

exten => _1720XXXXXXX,1,Answer()
exten => _1720XXXXXXX,2,MusicOnHold(default)

Output captured when internal devices attempt to dial number associated with MoH:(MoH is heard)

-- Executing [123 at Home:1] Answer("SIP/10.1.1.254-b77089b0", "") in new stack
-- Executing [123 at Home:2] MusicOnHold("SIP/10.1.1.254-b77089b0", "default") in new stack
-- Started music on hold, class 'default', on SIP/10.1.1.254-b77089b0

Output captured when external callers dial into asterisk from the PSTN, they get dead air instead of MoH:

 -- Executing [1720XXXXXXX at Home:1] Answer("SIP/1720XXXXXXX-b7704a38", "") in new stack
 -- Executing [1720XXXXXXX at Home:2] MusicOnHold("SIP/1720XXXXXXX-b7704a38", "default") in new stack
 -- Started music on hold, class 'default', on SIP/1720XXXXXXX-b7704a38

You see rule 1(answer) and rule 2(moh) being hit on both call attempts, but the external caller continues to get dead air. has anyone seen this one before? The internal devices requesting MoH are using the SCCP protocol load image(registered elsewhere) and then they are SIP trunked to Asterisk. Asterisk uses a second separate SIP trunk to peer with the PSTN.

-Greg