[asterisk-users] IAX trunktimestamps and AST_CONTROL_SRCUPDATE

Steve Davies davies147 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 05:29:00 CDT 2009

Hi,

I have just discovered (a year after it was implemented) a possibly
undocumented incompatability between IAX in Asterisk 1.4 and any
version of Asterisk pre-March 2008.

It seems an AST_CONTROL_SRCUPDATE frame type was added (in March '08),
but no mechanism to negotiate whether it can be sent to the remote
end, so if a "new" IAX endpoint sends it, and the remote end ignores
it, I believe it can cause the call to fail.

Am I being overdramatic? I have a scenario which seems to be showing a
1.2 box talking to a 1.4 box dropping calls sometimes, and the error
message on the 1.2 box is showing that it does not like the
unrecognised AST_CONTROL_SRCUPDATE frame that it receives. This issue
may be exagerated by the fact that the Asterisk 1.2 box has
"trunktimestamps=no" set to ensure compatability with an old Asterisk
1.0.x service.

Help? Is there a workaround? Might it be enough to enable
trunktimestamps in this instance?

Thanks,
Steve