[asterisk-users] what is the effect of high LBO settings?

Brandon B. brandon at brellsystems.com
Wed Mar 18 21:28:42 CDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 3:07 PM, Brandon B. <brandon at brellsystems.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 7:49 PM, Jared Smith <jsmith at digium.com> wrote:
>
>>  As I understand it, the LBO is effectively an attenuation value, with a
>> higher number meaning less attenuation.  This way, you don't get too hot
>> of a signal with a short cable, or two low of a signal on long cable.
>>
>> Just how far is your Asterisk box from the demarcation point?
>

> This system is connected to a CSU in the same room that provides the
> physical T1 line. I've always set the LBO setting at 0 for this  because
> I've never had a long line to deal with. Since 0 works for me, I'm going to
> assume it's the correct setting with the demarc point (i.e. the Paradyne
> CSU) in the same room -- right? It's slightly confusing with settings 5,6,7
> labelled CSU and no description as to when to use those levels. Could you
> provide any suggestion for when levels 5,6,7 would be appropriate?
>
> From what you say an LBO setting of 5 would boost the signal level, which
> could be "hot". Is there any chance this would cause the card to fail after
> a while? It appears this site just had 4 port Digium card fail today.

Turns out this problem was not the card, but another hardware issue. The
hard disk with Reiserfs eventually cratered and took the system down, and
the entire filesystem appears to be unrecoverable.

I've changed the LBO settings from 5 to 0, and the system is working fine.
If anyone has anything to add regarding the effect of different LBO settings
I think it might be helpful to have this documented.

Brandon B.