[asterisk-users] Asterisk is not designed for University with large user base?

David Backeberg dbackeberg at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 12:14:12 CDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 5:34 PM, Vincent Li <vincent.mc.li at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just had a meeting about a pilot project going on in our University, The
> project manager has done some research in the past year and concluded that
> Asterisk can not scale well to large user base like 10,000 users, thus
> Asterisk is not fit for large University environment.

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2007/071707-open-source-voip.html
http://www.digium.com/en/company/casestudies/viewcasestudies/University-of-Pennsylvania

Those links gets passed around every time this topic comes up.

I don't know what metrics led to the conclusion of the project
manager, nor the way things were configured in your particular pilot.

Asterisk-1.6 has dramatically enhanced SIP handling compared to 1.4.
It also has dramatically faster large-dialplan handling.
You can read all about it in the files that come packaged with 1.6.
It's possible (I would dare say likely) that the project manager is
looking at old data, or that the pilot was done with old versions of
asterisk.