[asterisk-users] Wideband g711-HD vs. g711.1?

Philipp von Klitzing klitzing at pool.informatik.rwth-aachen.de
Tue Mar 17 07:59:05 CDT 2009

Hi!

> > has anyone seen specifications of the codec g711-HD? This is right now
> > spreading fast in the wake up CATiq (the DECT successor), for example in
> > the AVM products (www.avm.de).
> >
> Googling for G.711-HD only produces hits about AVM. The AVM web site is
> very vague.

AVM support answered: g711-HD is g711 A-Law sampled with 16 kHz.

Currently AVM does not have intentions to support Siren7, Siren14, SILK
or CELT in the near future, they will stick to g722 and (g711-HD between
their own devices with double the bandwidth of g722 when this is readily
available).

> G.711.1 is a really brain dead codec. I find it hard to believe there will
> ever be much take up of it.

Still I am curious: What exactly is braindead about it?

Philipp