[asterisk-users] DTMF troubles

Jason Lixfeld jason+lists.asterisk at lixfeld.ca
Tue Mar 17 07:43:20 CDT 2009

I've been using one of the popular asterisk ISO distributions for a
couple of years and DTMF had always worked.

I recently switched to another asterisk ISO distribution, and outbound
DTMF is no longer working.

After doing a bit of digging, I noticed that the new distribution
wasn't setting any sort of dtmfmode at all, anywhere.  The old
distribution had rfc2833 set in sip.conf for the phone extensions, so
I thought I'd set the dtmfmode and see if that helped.  Unfortunately,
it did not.

I then went ahead and set dtmfmode=inband in sip.conf and iax.conf for
the phones and trunk to provider, respectively.  At that point, I was
finally able to hear DTMF tones when I called out to my cell from my
7960 but they still weren't enough to trigger the menu of an IVR
outside of the * system.  Jitterbuffer is disabled on the IAX trunk to
the provider.

DTMF seems to work fine from the phone to *, because I can trigger
menus on my own IVR without a problem.

I don't specifically recall the minor, but I know the old asterisk
distribution major was 1.2.  Maybe the minor was high 20s, 30s.  Who
knows.  The new distribution is 1.4.23.1.

I upgraded my 7960 from 8.6.0 to 8.11.0 with the transition to the new
distro, so perhaps that's an issue.

(FTR, my call path is: SIP from the phone (7960) to *, IAX from * to
the provider.)

Any ideas?