[asterisk-users] Multi-tenant with receptionist features for managed service

Gavin Henry gavin.henry at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 06:48:14 CDT 2009

2009/3/17 Gordon Henderson <gordon+asterisk at drogon.net>:
> On Mon, 16 Mar 2009, Gavin Henry wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I'm currently researching options for a MT asterisk gui/system for a
>> small business centre that will have 12 units in it. Each unit will be
>> configured for one extension.
>>
>> The system there will have a max of 12 concurrent calls to PSTN
>> provided via an ADSL/SDSL link to our VoIP provider in the UK, using
>> g.711, maybe g.729 dependant on networking costs. Fallback will
>> be to 4 analogue lines should this go down.
>
> Gavin,
>
> You won't get 12 concurent G711 calls over a standard ADSL line in the UK.
> If you're on an ADSL2+ service you may get up to 1.1Mb/sec upload speed, but
> even then, 12 * 80 = 960Kb/sec which is really pushing it, so use G729, or
> get that 2Mb SDSL line in. Make sure it's a decent ISP too. Using IAX will
> give you a few extra channels though as the IP overhead is less.

Thanks. We're waiting to hear abou twhat we can provide. We use Gradwell for
termination and their ADSL. DSL Premium M does 2.5 up, but I'll limit
this to 10 calls
to be safe.

>> What is key is billing information and the ability for a receptionist
>> to see all active calls and do transfers etc. Much like the Flash
>> Operator Panel. Desktop Software may also be needed for this purpose
>> or can be done via a traditional bank of lines on an IP phone
>> accessory module.
>
> Have a look at: http://www.astassistant.com/ rather than FOP. Even has a
> Linux client which is nice...

Looks good. Just tested it on VirtualBox for box.

>> If anyone has any ideas on the best way to put this together, I'm all ears
>> ;-)
>
> The consultant in me says "Pay someone to do it for you" :) However it's not
> that hard to do and setup if youve done something similar in the past - and
> your budget is tight. If you know you're going to get more of these, then go
> for it - spend your time on the software and front-end for the the first
> one, then the rest are clones...

Yeah. I normal use PBXinAFlash for this. Just the receptionist part
that was missing
and maybe add on a2billing.

>> I was going to use an OpenVOX card and Dell T100 box, with 12 Aastra
>> 53i phones. There's a £4k budget for this (still waiting for more
>> into)which
>> will include the networking connection and equipment. If I can afford it I
>> normally go Sangoma with Echo cancellation, but as it's a fallback
>> service,
>> so I'm not bothered.
>
> When budgets tight - I've deployed a lot of Grandstream phones - might give
> you a bit more breathing space if you use (eg) GXP280's for the client
> phones and a GXP2000 + button box for the receptionist.

Yeah, don't really like them though. I could go down to a 51i for £67 ex VAT.

> You can save money by building your own hardware too. Atom mobo, 1GB of RAM
> and an OpenVox card running oslec is still overkill for this. I mostly use
> 1GHz VIA boards for these sort of projects with up to 60 extensions.

What would that come in at? A Dell T100 is £300 ex VAT for 160GB, 1GB RAM and
a Dual Core Intel® Pentium® E2220; 2.4GHz with 3yrs nxt bday.

 A 4 port FXO card is £126.95 ex vat.

> Billings a PITA and other than what I've written myself, have never found
> anything that works the way I'm happy with... Good luck!

Thanks.

>> I think I've covered everything. There will be many more business
>> centres to come as this first project will be the blueprint one. The
>> end goal is to also move this to a data centre and not have it on site
>> with the pstn fallback options, but use redundant links to our DC.
>> Like a mini-ITSP for our area. I haven't figured the receptionist part
>> for that bit yet though ;-)
>
> Personally I'd stick the box on-site and have a central peering server or 2
> in the DC - well that's how I do it ;-) You'll struggle to get properly
> redundant links in that budget range too - one JCB can ruin everyones day!

Yeah, as I planned, but not for this project.