[asterisk-users] Multi-tenant with receptionist features for managed service

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Tue Mar 17 06:13:58 CDT 2009

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009, Geraint Lee wrote:

> We can put about 9/10 calls using SIP/gsm through our BT Business Network
> ADSL package connection (832kbit upstream, £65/month) before you notice the
> quality starting to drop, but you could always get two connections and
> "bond" them together into one using openvpn or some other method if you
> wanted to.

Ugh. GSM )-:

I've never really had much luck with BT as an Internet provider either -
their wholesale network - good, retail broadband, bad...

In theory, you should be able to get 10 G711 SIP calls over a business
quality 830Kb/sec upload ADSL line. I get 9 on my test setup before any
packet loss. I managed 11 calls using IAX over the same line before loss.
(Entanet ADSL and a Draytek router - £25 a month)

Intersting idea re. using openvpn or similar.. I have sites with 3 ADSL
connections - one for incoming calls, one for outgoing and one for general
office use.. That works when the call numbers in/out is relatively
balanced though.

I know of a local company who're regularly putting 20 concurrent calls
over the same broadband setup using G729...

Gordon