[asterisk-users] Ast/Hyla/IAX Scalability?

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Mon Mar 16 19:43:09 CDT 2009

VB wrote:
> If you using cisco why don't you use fax on/off ramp it works quite well.
> Then you can do with the fax file whatever you want.
>
> >From other point of view I did connected 1.6.0.6 with spandsp-0.0.5 to PRI
> and receivefax seems to be working ok. The connect speed is low somewhere
> between 2400-9600 but it seems to be working.

Why do people love to just make stuff up when they post? The range is
4800 to 14400, and that's the full range of most FAX machines. Some go
up to 33600, but there are lots of problems, and the required modem is
encumbered, so a free solution isn't possible.
> Actually I was able to receive international fax. Of course with some
> failures :-)

Why of course?
> If you want to use T38 in asterisk over ip with ata I didn't have too much
> luck with it. May be it would worked better on LAN. I switched to cisco or
> other hardware and it worked ok.

A *lot* of ATAs have very buggy T.38, if they have it at all. Gateways
aren't much better. You'll find if you try a few Cisco firmware
revisions that T.38 peformance varies considerably.

Regards,
Steve