[asterisk-users] Best way to get 60+ analogue extensions.

Jeff LaCoursiere jeff at jeff.net
Sun Mar 15 12:57:34 CDT 2009

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009, Duncan Turnbull wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I am looking at a replacement for a hotel PBX which requires at least 60
> analogue extensions.
>
> I tend to use Sangoma equipment but haven't tried this many analogue
> extensions before. I am interested in anyone's experience of which
> server platform literally fits and copes well with multiple cards, and
> the choice of Digium vs Sangoma or something else.
>
> I can see the Digium AEX2400 with 24 lines, physically they are all very
> deep, if I had 3 of these in a server it would seem straight forward
> assuming the motherboard doesn't haven't anything get in the way
> Equally the Digium TDM2400P supports 24 lines and physically requires
> similar space
>
> The Sangoma A400 provides 24 ports but uses two slots, having 3 of these
> in a server looks like I need to pick the server carefully.
>
> I may need an ISDN PRA inbound but am working hard to have the inbound
> lines via SIP, but if I do that means at least 4 slots on this plan.
>
> I am just interested in any recommendations for server hardware and card
> combinations that are currently in use.
>
> Also if anyone has provided call data out to the RMS system (
> http://www.rms-global.com/Our-Products/RMS-Hotel/ ) I would be keen to
> hear how it worked.

I have done several hotels using Audicodes MP-124 gateways.  No need for
expensive T1 interfaces for channel banks - these boxes do SIP over
ethernet.  They run about $1300 for 24 ports, which is very cost
effective, and I can vouch for their stability and voice quality over
decent network links...

We are actually working on a property managment system for hotels that we
hope to release at the end of the summer.  It may go open source.  We have
found that many hotels are used to the text interface / dumb terminals
prevalent in the industry, and don't want to give up that speed for web
based solutions, which is all you see in the marketplace these days.  Our
system actually runs on the asterisk server, provides both a web (mainly
for reports) and text (ncurses) interface to give them the best of both
worlds, in addition to tightly integrating the phone system with the
operation of the property.  Sorry to go off topic there ;)