[asterisk-users] Ast/Hyla/IAX Scalability?

Marshall Henderson marshallmch at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 10:38:28 CDT 2009

Hello everyone-

I recently read the thread entitled "Faxing Success Rate on PRI" which dealt
with Asterisk/HylaFax/IAXmodem. I'm successfully using this 'recipe' in a
few instances on systems with only a couple of analog lines all the way up
to a full PRI worth of Iaxmodems.

However, I'm finding that I'll need to scale upwards in the coming months
and would like to know if anyone has experience with a system containing
more than 1 PRI, 5+ PRIs or even a full DS3? Are there any limitations of
the Asterisk/Hylafax/Iaxmodem set that would prevent it from performing on a
scale of this magnitude? A system like this would obviously be fault
tolerant and have backup mechanisms in place, but I'm simply wondering if it
would be possible to use this much connectivity on a single platform.

I've also noticed that IAXmodem is compiled statically against a version of
spandsp included with the iaxmodem source. For a large installation, would
it be better to compile iaxmodem dynamically to reduce the per-instance size
of each iaxmodem? Or, would it be better to simply throw more RAM at it?

Are there any concurrency issues when receiving a large number of faxes on a
system using IAXmodems? I can only assume the system load would increase in
a linear fashion for each active/inuse iaxmodem on the system, not including
the addtional processing of faxrcvd/FaxDispatch after reception.

All ideas/thoughts/experiences/etc welcome!

Marshall