[asterisk-users] Sending faxes with T.38 problem. Asterisk - 1.6.0.6

David Backeberg dbackeberg at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 11:44:39 CDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 12:19 PM, Santiago Gimeno
<santiago.gimeno at gmail.com> wrote:
> dial-peer voice 5 voip
> description ** **
> preference 1
> destination-pattern 1…
> voice-class codec 1
> session protocol sipv2
> session target ipv4:1.1.1.1
> session transport udp
> dtmf-relay rtp-nte
> fax-relay ecm disable
> fax nsf 000000
> fax protocol t38 ls-redundancy 0 hs-redundancy 0 fallback pass-through
> g711alaw
> no vad

Looks pretty good. I don't have the:
> fax-relay ecm disable
nor the
> fax nsf 000000
nor the
> voice-class codec 1
nor the
> dtmf-relay rtp-nte

But I definitely endorse the
> no vad
and as long as you can do g711alaw on your asterisk system (I'm using
g711ulaw as my passthrough) that looks good.
I do add
 codec g711ulaw

But that's my preferred codec on the inside. I'm assuming you stripped
the real IP on your session target and you're not really sending to a
different address than what's in your settings for the asterisk
machine.

====

For troubleshooting this, I would recommend trying to send to a fax
machine you control, and try sending faxes both ways. This is an
educational process, as you can see if anything gets garbled, and you
can also (with a 'real' fax machine) hear what it sounds like as it
tries and fails.