[asterisk-users] Faxing success rate on PRI

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Mon Mar 9 10:57:44 CDT 2009

Marco Signorini wrote:
> Hi Gordon, thank you for your answer.
>
> It's not mandatory to use an external box to handle the PRI. I was
> thinking to use a Patton device instead of a TE120P just because I would
> like to be able to switch to T38 in the near future or if working with
> inband faxes will reveal problems.
> I'm open to any suggestion, being in the initial requirements analysis
> stage.
>
> External devices, also, let me able to select a server independently by
> the PCI, PCIXpress or any other connectors will be ready in the future,
> maximizing the customer investment... but this could be the less
> interesting part.
>
> Thank you to All People answered me on this subject.
> Analyzing your answers, seems that fax handling is still today
> problematic with IAXModem and Hylafax... or I'm wrong?
> What about other solutions?

I'm not sure where you got that idea. Most comments about iaxmodem +
HylaFAX are very positive. It does, of course, require a reliable
connection between iaxmodem and the PSTN, but most people set these
things up in a reasonably well controlled environment. There are some
notes at http://www.soft-switch.org/spandsp-soft-fax-performance.html
about the results of serious real world volume testing of iaxmodem.

Regards,
Steve