[asterisk-users] Server Setup Advice

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Sun Mar 8 12:56:49 CDT 2009

On Sun, 8 Mar 2009, Elliot Murdock wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Oh, yes, I will be mirroring the harddrives in case of any failures.
>
> What is your opinion about using (software) RAID?  Do you think the
> overhead impacts performance too much?
>
> In an ideal situation, I would use hardware RAID, but that is not
> feasible right now.

I've used Linux software RAID for over 10 years now. for me, it's my first
choice.

You shouldn't be doing many disk writes though - unless you're recording
all calls or handling a vast amount of voicemail.

And with modern hardware there shouldn't be issues that we had in the bad
old days - DMA, PIO, etc.

There is a double on resources required to write a block to a software
RAID-1 (mirror) unit but in a modern system, you're not going to notice
it.

And FWIW: I regularly have systems with 20-40 extensions running on a 1GHz
VIA processor, so CPU wise, you've got more than enough - unless you're
transcoding

Gordon