[asterisk-users] question about MeetMe performance.

Mike Trest Mike at Trest.COM
Sat Mar 7 09:10:46 CST 2009

Hi,

I built a FARM OF ASTERISKs split into 3
geographically dispersed sites (for high
aggregate bandwidth concerns).  There were 60
machines in total.  All of them Dual Xeon 3.0
with 2GB. [ This turned out to be way more CPU
that I needed.]   Each machine had 18~24 separate
conference "rooms".  All rooms were available on
all 60 machines.  All 60 machines had 18 ~24
voice feeds (one into each conference.  At peak
loads every machine also had a maximum of 220
participants listening - - mixed among the
different conferences available.  I was listening
DTMF codes from any listener to allow switching
from room-to-room.  But no audio allowed from the listeners.

I designed very carefully to avoid any
trans-coding from the point where the sound was
first captured - - in the dirver's seat of a
NASCAR race car.  This was done for several years
of live races broadcasts with amazing voice
quality.  At peak we had over 6,000 simultaneous
callers listening.  There. were no issues on
Asterisk or SuperMicro machine performance.  I
had one major foul-up when 18,000 new call
attempts came in within a 5 minute period and the
regional telephone system of Southern California
jammed up and dropped 10,000+ calls before the every reached the Asterisks.

NOT AN URBAN LEGEND.  This was deployed by a team
of 3 guys using Asterisk 1.4.x in less than 30
days including purchase  shipping of the
SuperMicro 1-U machines, configuring the
Asterisks, deploying to COLO sites, and cross
connecting (via pre-existing SIP carrier
gateways) with over 250 Nortel DMS switches in the mobile phone networks.

..mike..