[asterisk-users] IAX based war dialer

Jon Pounder jonp at inline.net
Fri Mar 6 15:43:10 CST 2009

SIP wrote:
> Not to burst your bubble, Jon, as I agree with a majority of what you
> said... but using an argument about the evolution of email to support an
> argument about how telcos should have better tracking and accountability
> is somewhat weird.
>
> We get 3 million email messages a day through our servers. 98% of those
> emails are spam -- often difficult if not impossible to trace because of
> the numerous methods of hiding one's identity including but not limited
> to spoofing domains and IPs, and using compromised machines.

ah but as an isp you filter and throw the bulk of that 98% away before a
user sees it.
telcos should be doing the same thing when :

a) a call has callerid belonging to them but did not originate in their
network
b) a call has obviously forged caller id like 000 for the exchange
c) a call is originating at a point being complained about by paying
customers.

In Canada the do not call registry is useless since calls do not
originate in Canada nor do the violators care if they are doing
something illegal, Telcos could take this further and if a number of
complaints are received about a call source, offer an opt-in blocking
plan to throw those calls away, and simply answer them with a sorry you
call is blocked since you have been blacklisted (just like known spam
sources).

If the telcos can't manage this themselves its only going to be a matter
of time before 3rd parties offer it on their lines.