[asterisk-users] IAX based war dialer

Jon Pounder jonp at inline.net
Fri Mar 6 15:24:42 CST 2009

Tim Nelson wrote:

The fact that this would be even being discussed on this list is an
embarrassment to the asterisk community.

I am constantly being pestered by cold callers with fake caller ids,
probe calls such as this, etc. I think for once CRTC/FCC need to step up
to the plate and take some useful measures :

- make knowingly presenting forged caller id a federal crime (its fraud
and harassment already)
- block caller id spoofing at the telco boundaries (we all do this now
for ip addresses, so why not caller id ?)
- ban offenders from having telecommunications service of any sort
nationally once convicted.

If the telcos can't adapt to providing service and accountablity this
way and actually serving the customers who pay them, telecommunications
with just evolve without them. Much the way the post office is being
left behind since they can not compete with the speed of fax and email
for documents or couriers for packages.