[asterisk-users] $20 Bounty

Dean Collins Dean at cognation.net
Wed Mar 4 09:36:06 CST 2009

Ok guys I have to jump in here.

Seems some of you took affront to my $20 paypal bounty.

Not sure how long some of you have been around here but the history
behind the Weather app on the Trixbox (or Asterisk @ home as it used to
be known back then) was that my wife used to always ask me what the
weather was like outside because our NY apartment had double glazed
floor to ceiling windows you couldn't always judge what the temperature
was like.

About the same time I was learning that Asterisk had text to speech
functionality.

Wanting to encourage the community to use this text to speech
functionality more I posted a bounty to see if someone could get the
weather report read to me on my asterisk server.

(sadly I think there is still a lack of text to speech apps for
Asterisk).

I don't remember the original amount of the bounty (or who it was paid
to) but I think it was about $40 to $50 or something like that.

It was a super simple app 'dial *68" a ftp session would download the
flat text file from the national weather service for my preprogrammed
zip code and it would initiate a text to speech event. It was pure
simplicity and perfect.

Once it was posted to the community I don't know how many people have
installed it but I've seen hundreds of variations and install guides
since then.

Every person that has ever come to my office who I've said hey check out
this technology called Asterisk one of the functions I demonstrate along
with voicemail to email and FOP conference rooms is "the weather call"

How many of those people have gone out and installed asterisk I don't
know but the point being it was a cool way to demonstrate advance apps
rather than just plain old dial tone.

Sorry some of you took affront to my $20 bounty and the current cost of
your overpriced coffees.

But my concept was maybe this would be a good way we could demonstrate
Asterisk integration to the Tropo community.

Guess not.

Regards,

Dean Collins
Cognation Inc