[asterisk-users] Wideband g711-HD vs. g711.1?

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Wed Mar 4 06:40:27 CST 2009

Philipp von Klitzing wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> has anyone seen specifications of the codec g711-HD? This is right now
> spreading fast in the wake up CATiq (the DECT successor), for example in
> the AVM products (www.avm.de).
>
> Is this a re-branded g711.1 (rfc5391) and therefore compatiable with it,
> or a different animal? And what are the license & patents restrictions?

Googling for G.711-HD only produces hits about AVM. The AVM web site is
very vague.

CAT-iq supports G.722 for wideband voice. the CAT-iq web site describes
this as "CD quality". I guess the person who wrote that has severely
impaired hearing. :-)

G.711.1 is a really brain dead codec. I find it hard to believe there
will ever be much take up of it.

Regards,
Steve