[asterisk-users] building a phone

Christian Stredicke Christian.Stredicke at snom.de
Sun Mar 1 12:04:42 CST 2009

To be honest: I am not very optimistic regarding this project.

The WRT is really a case where you essentially use stuff that is already available and which is very very stable (e.g. Linux). There is nothing really special for the WRT.

For a phone, the picture looks different. There are so many components necessary that are either not available or not very stable. There is a tremendous risk of ending up with a project that has a lot of loose ends.

But if someone wants to give it a try, sure. We have nothing to lose! Those who know embedded Linux will easily feel like home on the phone once they are logged in.

Definitively an interesting topic for our Asterisk developer meeting that we want to run this month in Berlin.

Maybe for starters we just compile an Asterisk and run it on the phone. That will be fun!

CS