[asterisk-users] IAX for internet file transfer?

Tim Panton thp at westhawk.co.uk
Sun Jun 28 17:02:53 CDT 2009

On 27 Jun 2009, at 11:27, Maris wrote:

>> guarantee delivery?, not to mention that IAX2 does not use RTP. Are
> you
>> suggesting to change the protocol to support such transfers?
>
> When it makes sense, yes - see below, otherwise the idea can get into
> the waste paper backet.

>> But why does he want to do it ? Share secret / illegal files LOL ?
>>

> Transfer files and/or logging data to/from computers anywhere in the
> intranet of organizations - over the internet. Due to restrictions
> this computer may not have server functionality. For the purpose, an
> IAX client can be installed on the remote computer. Of course, such
> client-client communication can be solved using an intermediate
> server which two clients that exchange data connects to. The specific
> features of IAX (NAT transparency) could help, provided that simple
> TCP channels initiated by the clients can posess problems in
> establishing connections under certain weird network constellations -
> it goes beyond my knowledge to judge that.

>> to the other side and decode it there Asterisk (or just about any
> VoIP
>> software) will opt for timely delivery rather than a reliable
> delivery.
>
> Encoding digital data into audio in order to transfer it as digital
> audio data packets makes no sense for me. Packet problems can be
> overcome with other methods, as pointed out by other contributors.
>
> Rob Maris
> Hardware developer

You should read the protocol spec. http://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc5456.txt
It already supports  a couple of 'data' transports, including the one
that was used
to upgrade the IAXy firmware.

I don't think you would have to change much (if anything) in the
protocol
to make it work.

Tim.

Tim Panton - Web/VoIP consultant and implementor
www.westhawk.co.uk