[asterisk-users] IAX for internet file transfer?

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Fri Jun 26 20:46:41 CDT 2009

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 07:50:08PM -0500, Moises Silva wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 6:48 PM, Maris <maris.rob at vdi.de> wrote:
>
> > I'm dealing with an idea to exchange data in a socket connection style
> >  or a sort of ftp transfer with IAX2 as the transport medium.
> >
> > An IAX client on e.g. a notebook could establish a connection to any
> >  remote machine (also client) via any Asterisk Server where both
> >  clients are registered. Due to the unique properties of IAX2 one
> >  could connect quite easily to any "hidden" remote computer without
> >  server functionality and exchange data.
> >
> > To my opinion it should be quite simple to bypass audio->RTP packet
> >  conversion in order to allow digital data transmission.
>

> Just a question since I am not quite sure I understand your suggestion.
>
> How do you plan to reliably transmit a file through UDP which does not
> guarantee delivery?, not to mention that IAX2 does not use RTP. Are you
> suggesting to change the protocol to support such transfers?

UDP does not in itself mean that there's no reliability. Reliability can
be built on top of UDP. However an audio stream will make sens eve if
we dop a pacet or to. OTOH, if even you have all the data time on and
it's just not the in right order, you get a mess. Which could hopefully
be worked around with a nice delay of a second or two. But then we have
a waltie-talkie and not a phone.

So while you can basically encode your data into an audio file, send it
to the other side and decode it there Asterisk (or just about any VoIP
software) will opt for timely delivery rather than a reliable delivery.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com