[asterisk-users] GUI for Asterisk

Steve Totaro stotaro at asteriskhelpdesk.com
Wed Jun 24 16:01:04 CDT 2009

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 4:39 PM, Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 09:20:44PM +0200, jonas kellens wrote:
> > I wonder if there is a GUI that does not change the underlying hand-made
> > configuration ?!
> >
> > What I'm looking for actually is a GUI for adding a new SIP-client +
> > voicemail, so that a company does not have to call me when they hired a
> > new employee.
> >
> > I don't want a GUI that over-writes my hand-made SIP-configuration, and
> > my hand-made dialplan.
>
> You're looking at it the wrong way. Figure out where the GUI generates /
> updates the configuration and make sure it gets things right.
>
> Either you write configuration manually or the GUI writes them. Don't
> try mixing both too badly.
>
> --
>               Tzafrir Cohen
> icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com<jabber%3Atzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com>
> +972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
> http://www.xorcom.com  iax:guest at local.xorcom.com/tzafrir

In FreePBX there are whatever_custom.conf files that are not touched when
changes are made in the GUI.

Only downside I see, and I think it applies to included files as it does to
included contexts is that pattern matching will occur in the first context
(or file) even if there is another pattern match in the second.

Not sure how that could hurt, but I am sure someone would find a reason/time
where it would.

With FreePBX and others, the whatever_additional.conf file is what gets
overwritten when changes are made in the gui and applied.

If you want to get fancy, you can jump into the FreePBX DB and set the
values yourself so that they are written by the GUI when applied.  Probably
the cleanest way.

Another semi static option is to edit the whatever.conf file.

Out of these three options, only the editing of whatever_custom.conf will
survive certain upgrades.  Then chmod that bad boy so it can only be read.

I think most systems work similarly.

--
Thanks,
Steve Totaro