[asterisk-users] Redundant Connectivity

David Backeberg dbackeberg at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 11:11:39 CDT 2009

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 7:10 PM, Marshall
Henderson<marshallmch at gmail.com> wrote:
> architecture, etc. On a brand new dual or quad core xeon type
> system(quite likely multiple physical CPUs, each with multiple cores),
> And finally, are there any hard or soft limits to be concerned about
> in regards to the number of simultaneous calls a system can handle? As
> mentioned, the server function will be purely routing, no other
> services available. Can each server handle 500 simultaneous calls?
> More?

You don't mention anything about codec for SIP, and that changes the
overhead per call. I've done 500 calls on similar gear without
breaking a sweat. You should have the same result. I have no clue
about your questions with regard to IAX.

> I'm planing to use Asterisk 1.4.x for this project as it's stable and
> works very nicely in my existing systems. 1.6.x seems to be a bit too
> bleeding edge... If there are specific examples why 1.6.x would be a
> better choice, I'm all ears. Or, is 1.2.x or 1.0.x the way to go? :-)

there have been a series of security fixes, so if you go 1.4.x make
sure you are going with recent revisions or mitigating the risk of
using an old version. You can always read the change log for the 1.6.X
versions to find out what you're missing by living with old versions
of asterisk. Mostly you're missing changes to underlying performance
enhancements, and 'new' features that many of us have been using for a
year plus.

Some people will say that 1.4 is too bleeding edge. You need to burn
in any solution you choose if you want to be satisfied that the result
scales appropriately and reliably. Callfiles, a while loop, and
logging come in handy there.