[asterisk-users] Announcement: Howler-optimised G.729A Solution for Asterisk

Christian Victor christian at victormedia.de
Wed Jun 24 10:30:56 CDT 2009

Jeff LaCoursiere schrieb:
> I have a question in to them about how that floating licensing works,
> though.  Does that mean that with every call a license check must be made?
> I don't see how it would work otherwise, and that means my whole business
> - every call - is dependant on their license server being up and
> reachable.
I guess that you run your own license server and your machines check the
availability of one of your licenses there. At least thats how some
other companies for e.g. TTS licenses do it.

>   I also don't think that the slight added convenience is then
> worth the recurring cost annually.  The price of the license is comparable
> to Digium in US dollars.

If you are running a couple of servers and you don't know where your
G729 calls will arrive then it makes sense to me.

If you run G729 only and have licenses for every line in your system
then it obviously makes no sense. But if you have for example 1200 lines
and 10% G729 users you never know if they are spread over all your
server or all arrive on one machine.

Chris