[asterisk-users] Announcement: Howler-optimised G.729A Solution for Asterisk

Jeff LaCoursiere jeff at jeff.net
Wed Jun 24 10:11:42 CDT 2009

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009, Grygoriy Dobrovolskyy wrote:

> 2009/6/24 Senad Jordanovic <senad at bicom.us>
>
>> Jay Fenton wrote:
>>> [ Optimised G.729A 'Howlet' for Asterisk & FreSWITCH ]
>>>
>>> Howler Technologies are proud to announce today the launch of
>>> their fully indemnified and highly optimised G.729A solution
>>> for Asterisk, including a unique floating license model.
>>
>> Why would someone buy it instead of Digium g729 codec?
>>

> Concurrence is good. And the floating model across many server is
> interesting idea.

I have a question in to them about how that floating licensing works,
though.  Does that mean that with every call a license check must be made?
I don't see how it would work otherwise, and that means my whole business
- every call - is dependant on their license server being up and
reachable.  I also don't think that the slight added convenience is then
worth the recurring cost annually.  The price of the license is comparable
to Digium in US dollars.

So the only advantage I really see is the optimization claims - you might
be able to squeeze more calls into one box.

Would love to hear of any real world experiences, though I guess we will
have to wait a bit for that ;)