[asterisk-users] Minimizing downtime during updates

Karl Fife karlfife at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 18:53:58 CDT 2009

I was about to ask this question when I figured out the answer by combing
through the makefile.
I am posting this anyway because I think it's good to know, and I didn't
find any threads that speak to it when I searched the list history.

My Question was:
When updating Asterisk, the sound tarballs for the selected codecs are not
retreived until running make install.  This adds unnecessarily to the
downtime when updating versions because Asterisk has to be stopped while
running make install.  I wanted a simple way to pre-fetch these files to a
local repository to speed up the actual install routine, instead of slowing
it by the arbitrary duration of the fetch/download process which robs
valuable NINES from uptime :-)

I discovered that after running make, you can run 'make sounds' before
shutting down the service.  This cuts all of the download time from the
install process minimizing service downtime to a fraction of what it would
othewise be.

-Karl